Skip to main content

Monthly Real Life Check-In: March 2018

I thought I'd do a quick overview of March 2018...

It's been an interesting month.  Most notably, the oldest child is looking for a part-time job so that he can go back to college.  He's not 100% sure of what he wants to go to school for, but I think he's seriously considering going into graphic design or media studies.  He's leaning in this direction because the degree would tie into his personal goals, which he's not too keen to share as he's afraid of nay-sayers.

Ken has been meticulously researching tractors for the last couple of months.  Our current lawn mower is in pretty rough shape and likely won't survive another summer.  If he gets the machine he's been ogling, it would not only allow him to mow the several acres of lawn on the property, but it also let him transport things in the front loader and use a box blade to drag the driveway.  We have so many potholes right now and need more stonecrete in front of the barn.

I went scrapbooking with my sister, Megan, and my sister-in-law, Ronnie.  Joining us this time around was Karen, Danielle, and Laura V.  If I remember correctly, I got somewhere around 16-18 pages done.  All of them were of Gage as the little stinker thinks he needs to graduate school next summer.

Left to right: Karen, Danielle, Megan, Me, Laura V., and Ronnie

My mom had joined us in the fall but she decided then that it would be her last trip downstate to join in the scrapbooking festivities.  Instead, I'm going to try to make it up to her place once a year to scrap for a weekend.

We've made camping reservations throughout the state for this spring and summer.  Our first trip will be close to home as we are once again heading to the campground that's less than five miles from home.  This always proves to be a good idea because that first trip usually reveals everything you forgot you would need.

We closed out the month with tux shopping and Easter festivities.

Just as we normally do, we went to Ken's sister's house for Easter dinner with his parents.  Later that night we played games.  The guys played Euchre while us girls played Corked with the kids.  I know the adult children were a little disappointed that their dads and uncles didn't want to play the same game as the rest of us, but such is life. 

Easter Sunday Gage got up to go to church with Addi but not before baskets!  This year the Easter Bunny didn't go all out.  They got a bit of candy and a $25 gift certificate to our local movie theater.



In between Easter dinner and games at Ronnie & Troy's Friday night and Easter Sunday, I took Gage and Addi to the tuxedo rental place. Wow. Expensive. Next year the kid gets a suit that he can wear more than once!

I guess I shouldn't complain, though, because I can't imagine how expensive it must be to have a daughter going to prom. 

Gage and Addi picking out his tux for the Junior Prom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys