Skip to main content

Book Clubs - January 2018 Book Selections



Ladies & Gents, I've somehow managed to get myself into three book clubs. 

Let me explain...

The most enduring book club was started by a friend of mine a few years back.  In Under the Covers Book Club we try to select one book a month.  We read the book and then meet up at the end of the month, or the beginning of the next, to discuss.  I think the original intention to was select easy, fun, romance novels.  While we still do occasionally read a romance novel, our monthly selections are as varied as the reading tastes of our members. 

This month we picked Moonheart by Charles de Lint.


This book is, so far as I can tell at a mere 6% read, an urban fantasy novel.  The protagonist is part-owner of a thrift/antique shop.  While de-cluttering the back room, she discovers a beautiful painting and a medicine bag with an eclectic collection of items still locked inside.  Instead of marking them for sale, she decides to keep them for her own.  I assume things are about to get interesting, but right now that's as far as I've read. 

Luckily, we don't yet have a meet up date scheduled.  I have time to finish.  I'd really not even be concerned about finding the time to read this book if I hadn't started another book club.

I had reasons!  While I love my friend's book club, the books we read there are rarely classics.  And I want to read more classics.  Mostly just so I can say I have... we've discussed I have a book-related psychosis, right?

So, after I created this List Challenge, my mom, me, and my cousin, Vanna, all decided we'd like to knock a few of these classic titles off our "some day I'm going to read that" list.  Thus, the Friends & Family Book Club was born.  I've since added one friend, so the name fits.

Our first classic is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.


I'm happy to report I can now cross this one off my Classics TBR.  I managed to start and finish this book earlier this month.  Thank goodness.  It was not a joy to read, but at least now I can say I've read it. 

Yes, I have thoughts on this book, but no spoilers for our Google Hang Out meet up in the beginning of February!  Mom can hear my thoughts then instead of reading them here. 

Now, two book clubs a month for me really shouldn't be a big deal.  I read often and relatively fast.  However, if you read my last post, you'll know the month of January has been a bit unusual.  My dad's unexpected bypass surgery threw my reading patterns completely out of whack!

Even with The Bell Jar behind me, I still have most of Moonheart to get through, so adding one more must read book to the pile for January is adding some stress to my reading life.  Luckily, it's a little book with big ideas. 


We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is, according to Amazon, a mere 65 pages long.  This is a book I should be able to read in one sitting.  Because I believe I can read it quickly and easily, I'm postponing starting this book until the last week of the month.  (Holy cow, that's next week!) 

I have to have read the book by noon on Friday, January 26, 2018 as that is when the Women's Commission Book Club meeting for university employees and students is scheduled to meet.  No problem.  I've got this.

Really.  I've got this.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys