Skip to main content

Some of My Favorite Shows

Today I bring you a hodgepodge of my favorite television shows.  This is what happens when I don't know what else to talk about on the ole blog.

Not my photo.  Linked from real owner's URL.
I didn't start watching The Walking Dead until season two had been mostly aired.  A coworker or two had mentioned it, and Facebook was abuzz with how fabulous it was.  I'm so glad I let peer pressure goad me into watching the first season on Netflix.  I was soon up-to-date and eagerly awaiting Sunday nights.  

What I Love:  The fact the zombies are often less of a threat than the human survivors.  I really think this show has a lot to say about human nature, both the good and bad. 

Not my photo.  Linked from real owner's URL.
I've been a fan of The Big Bang Theory for quite a few years now.  I enjoyed it when it was just Penny and the boys, but now that they've added in Bernadette and Amy, I find the show 100% more enjoyable.  

What I love: Geek humor; Sheldon. 

Not my photo.  Linked from real owner's URL. 
Two things drew me to this show.  First, the fact that a writer was featured as the main character.  This is almost always an attention-getter for me.  I'm sure my own writing ambitions have a lot to do with it, but I can't deny I probably romanticize the profession, too.  However, this show also offered one more incentive to watch.  Nathan Fillion.  I loved his character Mel on Firefly.  Seeing him in the prime-time limelight just tickled me. 

What I love:  The cheesy banter and one-liners.  The family dynamics between Rick, his mom, and his daughter.  

Not my photo.  Linked from real owner's URL.

Ripper Street.  I discovered this little gem quite by accident.  Although this is yet another detective show, the era in which these mysteries take place sets it apart from the majority of the sleuth shows out there.  

What I love: The slow reveal of each character's backstory.  The setting.  The scientific process of the era. (I've not fact-checked any of the doc's science know-how to see if it's era appropriate, but I hope it is.)


Not my photo.  Linked from owner's URL.
Okay, so the title isn't that great.  It doesn't really give you a clue as to what the show's about, but the first episode certainly did.  A secret religious sect hides something of historical and possibly supernatural significance away from the Nazis during WWII.  Fast-forward to modern times and the kidnapping of a woman who can help relocate the missing artifact.  All that stands between the bad guys getting what they want are the woman's husband and the FBI. Not that the FBI dominate the scene.  The camera focuses mostly on the husband and his team of reporters as they begin uncovering clues. 

What I love:  Secret societies (the Rosicrucians in this instance).  Good vs. evil.   Ancient artifacts.  

What I hate:  It was cancelled after three episodes.  Three!  Never mind that more episodes had been recorded.  Instead of challenging America to use their brains, ABC has elected to air reruns of some dumb ass show (Shark Tank, I believe).   This makes me both angry and sad.  Angry with the idiot who made this decision and sad that more people weren't intrigued by this combination of history and mystery.  

Not my image.  Linked from owner's URL. 

The Big Brother is watching theme sparked my interested.  Here's the opening montage.  I think it says it all:

You are being watched. The government has a secret system, a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know because I built it. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people, people like you. Crimes the government considered "irrelevant." They wouldn't act, so I decided I would. But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up... we'll find *you*.  

What I love: The big brother is watching theme, obviously.  The mysterious past lives of Finch (the system's creator) and John (his muscle). 

  

Comments

  1. Okay I only really watch Castle and that's to few and far between!Sorry. I love Castle though...and I've seen some Big Bang Theory but not a lot....I'm a Gleek and additcted to Ellen and Dr. Oz and the Doctors...not prime time but hey....I do like Beauty and the Beast too (main character is from Smallville, yay!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

I Heart Faces Week 18 Entry - Laughter

We had a lovely time at the tea house on Saturday. After eating three scrumptious courses and drinking a variety of teas , we decided to try on a few hats . There were also gloves, tiaras, boas, and fur stoles. It was fun being a little girl again, even for a few minutes. We giggled and we laughed, which made this shot possible: