Skip to main content

Re-assessing and Re-evaluating

Tragedy has a way of forcing you to look at your life with a critical eye.  It makes you evaluate between what you think is important from what is truly important.  In the wake of Sean's death, I have found myself doing that very thing. 

Although this list is by no means comprehensive, it is a start.  These are the things I am going to make every effort to do with regularity and enthusiasm. 
  • Spend more quality time with Ken and the boys.  As a family we often share the same physical space, but we're continually distracted by our individual interests.  Ken is never without his phone or laptop, the boys are rarely without their computers or PSPs, and I always have a book or computer in my hands.  While I can't see any of us giving up these things, I don't think it's unreasonable for us to designate one night a week where we spend time doing a family activity like playing a board game or something.
  • Record the memories we make.  There are couple of different ways I'm going to go about this.  The most obvious way for me is to use this blog just as I have in the past.  Yet, there are some things that are too private for such a public platform, so I'm going to make an effort to start using some of the journals I've purchased over the years.  Life is ugly and messy and heartbreaking.  Those bits and pieces - painful as they may be - are going to start finding their way out to the page. 
  • Take more snapshots of our everyday life. For those who know how often I have a camera in hand, this may seem an impossible task because I already take a lot of pictures.  Some may even think too many.  Yet, the truth is a lot of my pictures focus on events.  It's time to shift my focus from sports photography to capture the moments that make us who we are. 
  • As a kind of continuation on the picture theme, I need to be in more pictures.  I need to hand the camera over to my husband and children or even complete strangers if necessary. 
  • Create more scrapbooks.  (This goes back to the idea of recording the memories we make..).  I need to scrapbook the photos when the memories are still fresh.  Not wait until the details are indistinct and irretrievable from my miserable memory. 
  • Return to the creative writing I love so much.  I spend a lot of time on homework, which I know is important, but it's at the expense of my creativity.  To help keep me motivated here, I think it's time for me to become an active member in one of the two creative writing groups I've been a member of in the past. 
Like I said, this list is not complete and likely leaves out some important facets of my life.  But it's a start.

Comments

  1. That all sounds really awesome, Krista. It's what matters. {{huggs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an UNO & Pizza night tonight. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys