Skip to main content

Busy, busy!

There are three time-sucking, energy-consuming, blog-interfering things going on right now.

  1. School
  2. Wrestling
  3. Basketball

Three little words that seem rather unassuming on the page. Yet, believe me when I say, these three things are pretty much in control of my life at the moment.

First, there's school. I'm only registered for one class this semester, but, like any other graduate course I've taken, it's reading-intensive. If we're not plowing through a novel in a week, we're reading and commenting on a collection of articles. On the upside, the topic of the course, which is multi-cultural American literature, is very interesting.

If I only had to worry about my schoolwork, I might not be quite so high strung.

But, I also have to worry about my boys' schoolwork. Their report cards left much to be desired, so we're really cracking down on them this marking period. No computers. No video games. We're also going to attempt bribery by assigning monetary value to end of the marking period grades. We'll pay for the good grades, they'll pay for the bad ones. I'm hoping we go broke paying them for a job well done.

Now, I realize some parents are above such things, but my husband and I believe that while we go off to the office everyday to pull a paycheck, our boys must go off to school. Their job, quite frankly, is getting good grades. If they do that job well, they should be rewarded for it.

So, that's time-sucking, blog-interfering thing #1.

Thing #2 is wrestling. Now, in all fairness, this is much more time-consuming for my hubby because of his Club Treasurer duties. He's there three out of the four nights the club meets; I only have to go on Thursdays.

So, during the week, I monitor the 7th grader's homework while the 4th grader is improving his wrestling skills.

Weekends, though, are a different matter. Although we're definitely taking things a lot slower this year, there are still full days spent in gymnasiums. Not that there aren't benefits. The boy has learned so much and is doing so well! (He managed to take 3rd place in his last Open Tournament.)




So, there's thing #2. Wrestling. It'll be around for another couple of months. Until the middle of March, I believe.

And that brings me to thing #3. Basketball. The oldest is finally old enough to play for the school district, so this is the "real thing". Remember thing #1, well, it determines his eligibility to play. Luckily, the marking period has just started so he's able to play as much as the coach wants to put him in. Let's hope things stay that way!

(He's in the red & white, if you're wondering.)

He practices right after school, which means he has to be picked up as soon as we get out of work. This typically results in my hubby taking the youngest to wrestling practice in one vehicle and me picking the oldest up in another. Then it's home to tackle homework and get some studying in.

Dinner is usually late and showers are right before bed.

We all go to bed exhausted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys