Skip to main content

Treasures in the Attic

My mom moved to California a few weeks ago. Because space was rather limited inside the moving truck, she had to pick and choose what to take with her. When the last of the boxes were tucked away inside the semi, she had a collection of boxes that needed a new home. If no one took them, they'd end up in the trash. When she told me the boxes contained pictures and other bits of memorabilia my great-grandparents had left with her, I volunteered to come pick them up.

It took a few days. Sometimes our lives get so busy with work and school and the boys' sports schedule, that I forget about the spontaneous obligations that spring up.

I'm glad I didn't forget this one. Taking time out of my busy schedule to drive over to her old house and bother the new tenets was worth the effort. I ended up with six boxes and you cannot imagine what treasures I've uncovered.

When our Team-Up Thursday assignment was announced - nine - I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I pulled out nine of the most convenient items out of the first box I picked from the pile. Here's what I contributed this week:

9 artifacts

My great-parents were writers. Not the same kind of writer I am, but a writer of an entirely different breed. They wrote poetry. They wrote stories focused on family history. Some of the stories read like creative non-fiction, some like history lessons. Best of all, almost everything is dated and signed.

Reading a poem your great-grandmother wrote when she was sixteen is nothing short of surreal.

Of course, they weren't only writers. They were readers. In fact, I can still recall the dim sunlight filtering into their bedroom to caress the hardcover spines of assorted novels and piles of National Geographic magazines. Oh, how I wish I had more of those books or some of those magazines now.

What few books I do have from Grandma and Grandpa (I rarely called them anything else when I'd go to visit), are so very precious. Although not pictured here, I have a set of encyclopedias Grandpa gave me when I was a young adult. Now I get to add three small books that fit into the palm of my hand to that collection. Here's one of them:

20100217_2922

I'm not even sure who Charles Lamb is or why I'd want to read a collection of his essays, letters, or verses. But now I'm curious. I might just have to go Google this fellow.

Also, the binding. The copyright date of 1899. The print date of 1903. Delightful!

Even better, though? Is the inscription. "To Edwin from Mom". Suddenly this little book has added sentimental value because "Mom" in this instance is my great-great-grandmother. I barely remember her. Actually, I remember the snakes sunning themselves on her front step more than I remember her.

But somewhere I've seen a picture of me with her. I was perhaps 4 or 5 and she was 210. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. She might have been in her late 70s, early 80s or 90s. Hard to tell.

The great thing is I have an opportunity not many people are given in life. I can get to know her and so many of my other deceased relatives through the writing of my great-grandparents. Pictured below is one of three collections my grandparents pulled together of what they believed were the most important or revealing family stories.

20100217_2924

This book is perhaps a 1/2-inch thick. Maybe more. It's mostly a collection of family stories and reproductions of antique photographs. I've read a few.

On the dedication page I'm mentioned by name. Me, my mom, and my cousin Brad were recruited for the daunting task of transcribing my great-grandpa's nearly illegible scrawl. We took his handwritten efforts and typed them up.

One of the only times I can recall actually arguing with my grandpa was over this book. He told me I didn't know how to read and I told him he didn't know to write. I was standing on the back porch at my Dad's house. Grandpa was standing on the ground looking up at me. We were both so frustrated.

Luckily, Grandma's handwriting was much easier on the eyes.

20100217_2920

I wonder if she really meant these words. Was it a secret dream of hers to become a nurse? I never would have suspected!

20100217_2923

Not sure which of them wrote this one.

20100217_2926

Of course, the boxes contained more their poems and stories. There were also cards and letters. Property deeds. Newspaper clippings. And their high school diplomas! I'll have to update this post later with their graduation dates.

Inside Grandma's diploma was this little newspaper clipping. Of the five graduates pictured, two of them are my grandparents: Helen and Edwin. Isn't it cute? They were high school sweethearts!

20100217_2919

And I have six boxes filled with treasures like these. I feel so very blessed.

Now I just need to figure out how I can share them with the family at large. I'm thinking of setting up a website. I'm also thinking of reproducing the poetry and stories into something a bit more elegant. Perhaps a Lulu book that would be available to family members only? Not sure.

Comments

  1. Meg showed me some of her little box of treasures too, very sweet indeed. Now you know why I don't throw anything away! Maybe when I'm 90 Kiddo will find all my writings and treasures too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never even knew my grandparents, let alone my great-grandparents, so I am very envious of your wonderful connection with the past like this. I think a proper book as well as a web page would be great if you have enough material to pull something together (sounds like you have). A big job, but a very valuable piece it would be too.

    Thanks so much for sharing, it has been a joy to work with your image!

    Kari x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! What treasures indeed!! I am so glad you grabbed those boxes instead of them getting thrown out!!! How amazing!!! I would love to see a website or something of their collection of memories!! That is just incredible!! I had no idea Aunt Vicki had all of that stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey missy don't forget to get that one copied for me. You gave the other to the boys. If your doing either web or book let me know, I'm sure there is much here we should put together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys