Skip to main content

A Weekend of Parties

Yesterday we went to a birthday party for my cousin who turned the big 4-0 on January 1st. It was a surprise and, judging by the look on her face, I'd say the party planners pulled it off. She seemed more than appropriately surprised. She also seemed a bit embarrassed and self-conscious. Of course, that didn't last for long.

The best surprise, though, was probably the unexpected guests who showed up just as she was walking in the door. A long, long time ago my grandmother had lived with a man and his two sons. Although things didn't exactly work out for my grandmother and her boyfriend, the boys remained fond of Grandma and our family. Seeing Tim, Shelly, and their two boys was a rare treat.

After the party I took my youngest boy and my nephew to the bookstore. We hit the Borders Outlet at a nearby mall first. They had lots for me to choose from but very little for the kids. My nephew, who is 9, was really hoping to find some American Chillers. The Outlet store had exactly zero on the shelves. Humph. So, as only a crazy aunt who really wants to support the family's sole adolescent reader, I carted the boys into the city and made a beeline for Barnes & Noble. Of course they had plenty of titles to choose from and I ended up spending twice as much as I had planned on. I blame it on membership card renewal.

The best part is...I get to cross two titles off my "missing" list. These are books I once owned, made the mistake of loaning out, and never got back. Both titles were from fantasy series I am actively collecting: Runelords by David Farland and Wolf by Jane Lindskold. Now I just need to find Black Sun Rising, the first of the Coldfire Trilogy. I don't know who I loaned that one out to, but I vow to be a bit more protective in the future!

After the bookstore we tossed around the idea of heading over to my brother's for a bonfire and possibly cards. In case you don't know, it's cold here. Staying in seemed the better plan, so that's exactly what we did: we stayed in.

That brings me to today. I've reinserted myself into a local writing group and one of our members offered to host a "get to know the family" type of party. Apparently, she's done this before, but we're new so this was our first go round. I think the hubby survived. He wasn't too keen on the idea, but he was a good husband and played along. Hey, at least they had football on the big screen and there was plenty of food to eat! And the kids had playmates, which helped.

So, that was my weekend. How was yours?

Comments

  1. Ugh. Lending out things can be such a pain! I'm missing two different games because I agreed to let friends borrow them and they can't find them. I feel like I need a library system. Ok, you can check this out, but I want it back in two weeks, or there will be a fee...

    Our weekend was fine. Uneventful for the most part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave Farland was on a few episodes of Writing Excuses not too long ago. He sounds really smart. I'll have to read something of his sometime...

    No, I don't want to borrow yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:35 PM

    Wait a minute...you purchased books that you already owned? Why don't you just get them back from whomever borrowed them? Talk about UHG!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

I Heart Faces Week 18 Entry - Laughter

We had a lovely time at the tea house on Saturday. After eating three scrumptious courses and drinking a variety of teas , we decided to try on a few hats . There were also gloves, tiaras, boas, and fur stoles. It was fun being a little girl again, even for a few minutes. We giggled and we laughed, which made this shot possible: