Skip to main content

Great writing night!

Kids were in bed by 8:30 because it's a school night and the hubby is watching football. This left me with a few options, some of which were more appealing than others.

Let's see, I could have done the dishes (they're still in the sink), scrapbooked, read, folded laundry or washed some for that matter, or write. I decided to open the WIP and get busy. Unbelievably, it worked!

Over the last hour I have managed to revise the last chapter I had written. It's still incomplete but it's so much better than it was. Very happy. Of course, I'll likely do at least one more read through to see if it really works but it seems much better than what I originally had down.

I'm running into an odd challenge with this book. My heroine is physically stronger than my hero. She's a vampire, he's a human. Writing confrontational scenes between them requires more awareness of his limitations than I would normally give a male character. I usually take it for granted the men are stronger than most women but the inequality between vampire and human is immense and, therefore, quite noticeable. Here's a small snippet of the scene I just "tweaked". If he still seems weak, be assured this is an improvement. LOL

Snippet:

He downed his beer and stood up, intent on leaving.

She gripped his arm, her fingernails biting into his skin. "It matters. Now, who have you told?”

He tried to pull his arm out of her grasp and couldn't. What the hell? He hadn't had that much to drink. He tried again without success, noticing she didn't even struggle against his supposedly superior strength. He met her eyes and saw something predatory staring back at him. The hair on the back of his neck sprang erect as a primal instinct urged him to escape.


End snippet.

Now I have to figure out how he can extricate himself from her powerful grasp without appearing "womanish". After all, he's our hero and who wants a weak and whimpy man as the lead in a romance? Not me!

So wish me luck!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys