Skip to main content

A Little Bit of Theory, a Little Bit of Fun.

When I imagined finishing my last graduate course, I envisioned many hours of bubble gum reading.  I'd indulge in every genre imaginable.  I talked a bit about my intended reading lists here and here.   As I look at those old posts, I'm happy to see that at least a few of them have been read.


The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1)   Calamity Jayne (Calamity Jayne Mystery, #1)     The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)

I still intend to make my way through those lists before the year's end.  Those and several more.  After all, I set myself a ridiculous reading goal this year: 100 books.  Right now, I've read a whopping 34 titles.  That only leaves...66 to go before December 31.  With approximately 15 weeks to go, that means I'll need to read four and a half books a week.  

Um. Yikes. 

That's a lot of books and not a lot of time.  Now, I'm not saying it's impossible because I could absolutely select books that are easily consumed in a day or two.  Skinny books with low page counts come immediately to mind.  Also, some genres read easier than others.  

Reading theory for fun, though, is seriously slowing me down.  Right now, I've got three books at various stages of progress. 


The Order of Things: An Archaeology of Human Sciences   The Wave in the Mind: Talks & Essays on the Writer, the Reader & the Imagination    The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination

Foucault I started just last week.  I'm reading this one with a friend (you know who you are!).  Our goal is to read two chapters a week and discuss them on one of our afternoon walks.  This is a good thing because I'm going to need someone else to bounce ideas off as this is not nearly as accessible as I first thought it would be.  Although, as I near the end of chapter two, I feel he is beginning to speak a language I can once again understand.  The abstract is becoming more concrete. 

I've read about half of LeGuin's book.  It's not theory on the same level as Foucault or Gubar & Gilbert, but it's defintely not easy reading, either.  Well, some of the essays are actually quite accessible and even entertaining.  In all honesty, this book will be the easiest of the three to finish.  I just need to figure out where I left it...it's somewhere in the house.  I'm sure of it. 

Gilbert and Gubar's book uses theory but reads like literary analysis.  It's interesting, but can be somewhat challenging when the discussion shifts to novels I've not read.  Knowing the story and the characters the two have put under the microscope helps.  Let's just say I'll never look at Frankenstein or Wuthering Heights the same way.  Also, I now feel the very real need to sit down and read Milton's Paradise Lost.

On a more entertaining note, I'm also reading this...

House of Leaves

It's perhaps one of the strangest pieces of fiction I've read in a very long time.  I'm only page 74, so I'm not sure I should even try at this point to give any kind of an overview.  Let's just say, I have a feeling the weirdness is only beginning.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys