Skip to main content

Exposed and Quarantined

Well, it's happened.  You'd probably think that given everything Ken and I have done over the last couple of months that we would be responsible for our current situation.  But you'd be wrong. 

On a Thursday afternoon, while Ken and I were home working, Allie was upstairs tending to the baby, and Gage was still in bed because he hadn't fallen asleep until around 6 a.m. that morning, we got a phone call from K.C.  He had been in training all day and, about halfway through, it got shut down because one of the attendees had just been notified they had tested positive for COVID.  KC is fairly convinced it was the young woman he had been working with on CPI holds because her phone kept going off and she had to excuse herself to answer it.  Her face fell and she immediately went to find the guy in charge of the training.  They spoke for a few minutes and then she left.  Minutes later, the training was shut down with an announcement that someone in the room had just tested positive for COVID-19 and everyone present would be tested the very next morning at 9 a.m.  KC went out into the parking lot and sent us Snapchat messages asking us to pack up Allie and the baby.  He wanted them gone before he got home.  

I started making a list of everything they would need for an extended visit to her mom's.  When in a panic, make a list!  

Then I remembered a conversation Ken and I had had when the Stay Home, Stay Safe orders had come out.  We had talked about using the camper to quarantine anyone in the family that needed to be quarantined.  We could hook it up to power, fill it with water, and the person could isolate in relative luxury.  

If KC stayed in the camper, Allie and the baby would be safe enough in the house.  So this is what we did.  We got the camper prepared, put food in it, medicine in case it was needed, and some clothes for the boy.  We deliver his dinner but let him fend for himself during breakfast and lunch.  

We also visit from a great distance, which gives him the opportunity to talk to us and to see his little boy. 


Because the camper is in the barn, which effectively stops his cell phone signal, we use Walkie Talkies to communicate with him in the evenings.  

The Walkie Talkie has caused an issue. 

Worried that he might become sick during the night and need assistance, I took it to bed with me.  He had complained earlier in the day that he had diarrhea and felt light-headed.  It should be noted that he had eaten four bacon/sausage/egg/cheese sandwiches for dinner the night before and that morning's upset stomach might have had more to do with his gluttony than with COVID; it's really all a guessing game right now while we wait for test results.  Still, given that he has passed out on me more than once while sick, I worry about him passing out and hurting himself.  Hitting his head on something.  Falling down the steps in the camper and breaking a bone.  

My imagination is not always my friend.  

So...I took the Walkie Talkie into the bedroom with me just in case the diarrhea and light-headedness returned and got worse.  I was reading on my Kindle with Ken sleeping next to me when the thing squawked twice.  I got out of bed and tried to see what KC wanted.  No answer.  I tried again. No answer.  Panic started to set in, so I grabbed a mask and went out to the barn.  I banged on the camper door and called his name.  No answer.  Worried, I decide I'm going in to make sure he's not injured.  He wasn't in the living room area or the tiny bathroom.  I opened the bedroom door and turned on the lights to find him sound asleep.  No idea why the Walkie Talkie had squawked like someone was trying to say something. 

I left the camper right away.  I threw away my mask.  Washed my hands.  Then I used hand sanitizer on my hands, arms, legs.  I changed into a fresh pair of jammies and then went to bed. 

The next morning I told Allie about what had happened.  As one might imagine, she got very alarmed, worried that I had brought COVID into the house.  Her worry doubled when Ken went to check on KC a little bit later.  Now three of us are potentially exposed and she has a three-month-old to worry about.  We all do.  He's so little and vulnerable.  Although Ken and I both felt that we were as safe as we could be, we can't deny the risk.  

In the end, we asked my dad to drop off his camper for her and the baby.  She didn't feel safe anywhere and we're hoping this will help ease her mind and make her feel a bit more protected.  

Now we wait on test results.  KC's first test was administered too soon according to our family doctor, so he's on his way to get a follow-up test that will hopefully be more accurate.  We don't know how long it will take to get his results from either test, but we hope its soon.  This is incredibly stressful and worrisome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys