Outside of pregnancy, I'm the heaviest I've ever been. Not an easy thing to admit, not even to myself. Between moon-faced pictures and an uncomfortable wardrobe, though, there's really no denying it. It's time to make some changes in my life and take a serious look at my food choices, all of which were terrible.
With a new year ahead of me, I decided this time there's no trying; this time I'm doing it. I'm going to make some significant changes and stick to them. Of course, I know how hard dieting is because, believe me, this isn't the first time I've attempted to shed a few pounds. I also am fully aware of how difficult it is to get rid of old habits and create new ones.
This isn't going to be easy.
But it doesn't have to be painful. I can't expect to drop the weight overnight or even in the first few months. It took a long time for me to get to where I am today and my metabolism is acting its age, the bitch. This means it's going to take a long time for me to get where I want to be.
So, after hearing a few rave reviews about incorporating raw foods into your diet, I decided to look into it for myself. For the most part, I like what I see. Here's how I plan on starting:
- Buy Complete Idiots Guide to Eating Raw & The Raw Food Detox Diet (information and recipes!)
- Bookmark sites like this, this, and this.
- Introduce more salads and fruits into my diet. The fruits should help with the cravings for sugary sweetness.
- Cut out processed food, including prepackaged lunches and junk food of every variety.
- Figure out what grocery items I can't live without. Cacao may be the most expensive item I'm considering tracking down because I can have desserts as long as they're made from raw ingredients! That being said, I'm not going to purchase it until I've made up my mind on the likelihood of this diet sticking around for longer than a month or two.
- Remind myself that this isn't a diet. I'm changing my eating habits to include more healthy choices.
Also, milk. Not sure I can completely give up milk, either. I justify this (during my first week of attempting to go raw) by rationalizing that I hardly ever drink milk anyhow.
I realize this may sound crazy and extreme, totally off the deep end, but I'm really hoping it works. I'm hoping it not only works, but that I enjoy the variety of foods I'm going to be sampling.