Skip to main content

Feedback

I've gotten a lot of feedback on my story. My readers have been fantastic, offering suggestions, asking questions, and making corrections to typos and grammatical errors. So far the changes have been pretty painless.

I think perhaps the most significant changes have been adding a paragraph here or there to help explain who someone was or what happened to them. I also removed a needless sub-plot that really had NOTHING to do with the story.

I've thought long and hard on the idea of removing the sex and violence. After some thought, I've decided it's staying. If I can't sell this as a paranormal romance, I'll self-publish because this is the story I wanted to tell. It's dark and ugly in spots, but I think it's dark and ugly because it needs to be. Demons aren't nice. For that matter, man can be downright wicked and evil, too. Since this story focuses so much on redemption and forgiveness, I think I'd be plucking out the very threads that provide the contrast needed for this story to work.

This doesn't mean I didn't soften a little bit of the language in spots. I decided I didn't need to be crude in order to get the point across. So, some of the more offensive terms have been removed or replaced with more acceptable verbiage.

What really amazed me, though, has been the number of typos and errors! I went through this with my little red pen. I really did. Really. So how is it that each reader has been able to point out mistakes I missed? What's even more amazing is that they aren't even pointing out the same mistakes! What one reader missed, another would find.

And I love each and every one of them for being such careful and thoughtful readers! This book is probably the best copy I've ever produced. Of course, this could be because this also happens to be the first novel I've been determined to get as close to "perfect" as I possibly can.

So, in addition to bringing my few faithful readers up-to-date on my writing, this is also a shout out to my readers. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Comments

  1. Hey as one of your editors, your welcome. Anytime. Sorry it took so long for me to read it, usually I can fly through one of your stories, but that darn husband hogs the computer so much. Oh and the sex was good in the story, dont' take that out! The violence, was as you said an essential part of the story. I'll have to look up that torture device you described though, interesting.
    I love having a lot of editors for a story/poem. the more editors the better feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:13 PM

    I agree, the sex and the violence are part of the fantasy realm, even if it is set in a modern era.

    The story is perfect the way it is. except for the typos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very welcome, my friend! I totally understand about this being the story you SEE and so leave the sex and violence in. It's your vision and dream, and it works. Keep us posted on your progress! I'm assuming you'll begin submitting? Agents or publishers, you think? Just curious. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:19 AM

    Hey Babe, I know I'm not done yet, but your welcome. You know it isn't something I would have picked up, myself, but you are my daughter!! It's a great story. I think you should go for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys