Skip to main content

Labor Day Weekend

The last three-day weekend of the year was spent at a nearby campground. So nearby that we could run home and grab whatever hadn't been packed into the camper. I know I ran back to grab the puppy's chain, baseball gloves that had been left in the backyard, and a few other odd items we just couldn't live without.

At the campground itself we had football, ice cream, swimming, and campfires. We only took the kids to the pond on Saturday, though, because none of us moms were all that impressed with the beach. It was nasty on the toes, if you know what I mean. Slimy. Of course, that didn't stop the kids from having a blast.

When the kids weren't swimming, they were either riding their bikes or playing touch football with their dads. I don't know how the dads could stand the heat, but they managed. The only problem being that my hubby thinks he broke his toe -- open-toed sandals are not condusive to football, not even two-handed touch football!


Of course, camping isn't camping if there's no campfire for unwinding. Strangely, my kids didn't sit around the campfire once. They were so worn out by the end of the day that they happily took their showers and settled down with a movie for the night. (Air conditioning and movies! Now, that's camping!) Even worse, we microwaved the s'mores. I know I should feel ashamed of myself, but I don't. Sometimes mommies need breaks, too! That particular night it was a production line of s'mores, showers, and cartoons. The sooner the kids were down, the sooner we could escape to the campfire and some uninterrupted adult conversation!



All in all, I'd say we had a lovely weekend. My brother made it home from Iowa for the long weekend, my sister bought a weekend pass so she and her kids could join us whenever they wanted, and we had so many visitors I can hardly name them all.

The only rain cloud in the story comes in the form of the unhappy neighbor. This family pulled in the day after us and had some issues. He didn't like our cars, our bikes, or my dogs. Well, too bad for him. Every car there had a pass issued by the campground. The bikes were gone just as much as they were underfoot and, more importantly, they were never left on his site. As for the dogs, they only barked a handful of times and never for long because we were always nearby. Of course, since he made the mistake of complaining to my sister about all this, we weren't exactly as quiet at night as we would have been otherwise. Subtle revenge, it's good for the soul.

Of course, the weekend couldn't last forever and we had to pack up Monday morning. I wanted to thoroughly clean the camper, which meant washing all the bedding. I also wanted to make sure the hubby and I would have work clothes this week. Add to all that the fact that it was the night before my boys began a new school year. Busy, busy, busy!

How about you? What did you do this weekend?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys