Skip to main content

Interesting Podcast

I've been listening to Mur Lafferty, Scott Sigler, and JC Hutchins for the last couple of days. Episode 99 of I Should Be Writing 2.0 is a roundtable discussion of New Media. As some of the biggest names in the fiction podcasting world, Mur, Scott and JC's advice is worth keeping in mind for anyone interested in venturing out into the podcasting universe.

I don't know that I'll ever podcast my novels. I might. I might not. I just don't know. That being said, if I do decide this is a worthwhile marketing ploy, I will make an effort to study what these three have done and what they're doing now.

I really don't know much about Scott or JC. In fact, I have to admit I've never sampled any of JC's work and I've only listened to the first few chapters Scott's novel, Nocturnal, which I've very much enjoyed so far.

Then there's Mur. She was the first fiction podcaster I stumbled across. I started listening to her podiobook, Playing For Keeps, when I was driving to and from work by myself. It took me a long time to finish the book, but once started I couldn't stop. Soon after I started Playing for Keeps, I discovered her podcast, I Should Be Writing. This was before she sold her podiobook to Swarm Press and reached #16 in fiction sales on Amazon. It was in the days when she really was a "wannabe writer".

I love what Mur wrote on her blog when the Amazon numbers came in. I think it speaks to the matter of marketing and branding, something every new writer must at least consider.

This new media thang is experimental. At times it’s controversial. But I had faith in it, that giving my work away would pay off. And you guys have proven it. This is not a solo career anymore. For me, anyway, this writing thing is not a lone movement. I have my community behind me, which is a stunning and amazing thing. The force of new media is thrilling and I’m so glad to be part of
it. - Mur Lafferty, Playing For Keeps Launch Day results

That's right. Mur gave her book away free and still managed to get it published! And if I'm not hearing things, I believe JC and Scott have managed the same feat. During the course of Episode 99 of ISBW 2.0, I think JC (or was it Scott) was able to articulate why a publisher would be willing to pick up a free podcast novel: the author has already done a lot of marketing and has built a fan base, saving the publishing firm's marketing team the trouble. It's just good business sense! These podio-authors have a huge following, one that it's safe to assume will continue to support the authors when they're in print.

Of course, gaining that fan base doesn't happen over night. It takes time. It takes dedication and creativity. In fact, these three gurus warn it might take as long as three years for people to really sit up and take notice of your stuff.

For the writers who stumble by here on occasion, what are your thoughts on this topic? Do you plan on podcasting? Ever thought of it?

Comments

  1. If I had the time, I'd consider podcasting. It sounds like it could be tons of fun. Right now it takes all I've got to just keep writing the old-fashioned way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Krista! Thanks so much for the kind words about the ISBW #99 roundtable chat (in which I participated). I'm thrilled our advice and insight resonated with you, and I wish you the very best with your own writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wouldn't know it if you met me in person, because I'm very quiet, but I love acting and drama ... so, if I ever wrote something, podcasting would be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt> Boy, do I hear you! Getting the stories down are struggle enough right now!

    JC > Wow! Thanks for stopping by. I wasn't expecting it by any means. Oh...don't worry, I plan on checking out some of your podcasts in the future. One story at a time...

    Sarah > If you ever do, let me know. I'll subscribe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was inspired by the words I heard on ISBW 99. I know that promotion is part of the game. I don't like it, because what I don't like to do is talk about myself, at least not in a promotional way, but I know it is there.

    About giving you work away for free. I would love to be a writer when I grow up. I think Mur has said that before, but as much as I would like to make a living writing, I am just as happy knowing that other people are reading my work, and if they are reading, at least some of them are not hating it enough to write negative comments.
    Which leads me to the last point that Scott and Mur and J.C. made in the show, feedback. Story telling is something that I really enjoy and I hope that my stories can bring some joy to others. It is nice to see that my core numbers is not going down (thanks mom and dad) but when I get a comment on the podcast, or a vote on a story it makes my day. I try to make a habit of commenting on people stories that I like. I hope that if the round table discussion did one thing it was to encourage people who listen or read those of us who give their work away for free to say, "Hey, I read your story and I..." (No I am really not fishing for comments, as you have commented on my site before and I am very thankful for that.)
    In short, good luck to you and thanks for the post. It helped me remember why I am doing what I am doing, and that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And Like the dork that I am I forgot to answer your question. Yes, I to plan to podcast, I already do. I think it is a good way to get your work out there, but podcasting is not enough. You have to be willing to say your name everywhere. Talk about yourself in places you would not normally, and tell people who you are and what you do. That is the point that I am. I am just starting to try to promote my work in ways other than just having the podcast out there. And that is very hard for me, because as I said I don't like to talk about myself, and I find it harder to talk about my writing to people who may or may not like it. I have been podcasting for 6 months or so, I have about 20 listeners / readers, that number feels very low, but it is better than the two people that used to read what I wrote (Again thanks mom and dad.) It does take time, and pod casting is a huge time-sink. I spend probably 2 hours a week producing my short little podcast. (usually under 20 minutes.) And still my sound quality and production are not that great. In the end, it is a good way to promote yourself and your work, but it is only the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff, I think that's what I really picked up in that episode, too: the need and ability to self-promote. Now, I just need to figure out how and when and where...

    By the way, I always mean to participate in your weekly challenges but I never make the deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I tell the other writers I am a little wishy washy with the deadline, if you are close (some time before I produce it on Monday) I will accept it. I look forward to seeing your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Krista, I podcasted my first three chapters, but that's all I plan to do. I really just did it for fun for my sake. I think that to use it as a marketing tool, I would have much more work on my hands. And I just don't have time for that.

    I think that for a publisher to pick up a podcasted novel, it would have to have a huge following, and it would have to be very good. And the same goes for getting it published the old-fashioned way.

    Work, work, work.

    I will keep plugging along, and when I have time, I'll do a little more podcasting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys