Skip to main content

The hubby and I

I read this article earlier today about the strain children can put on a marriage. It was an honest, open admission of spousal dissatisfaction. The author, a mother to 2 children with a "bun in the oven", comments on the fact that she and her husband's marriage has suffered due to their growing family. It hasn't broken, but there's definitely some tension between them.

In the 13 plus years we've been married, ten of which we've been parents, the hubby and I have had tension. We've had arguments. We've chosen to not talk to each other, to make snide comments, or to otherwise make the other person miserable. The stress and worries of adulthood seem to be amplified by the presence of children.

Yet, we've also been blessed with a very strong relationship that seems to have grown instead of growing stagnant. We're both pretty open people. If one of us is angry, there's really no way the other person can claim ignorance. Subtly isn't something either of us practice very well. Although, I must admit, there are times when I think the hubby is mad and he's not (or so he says). Of course, this doesn't prevent me from harrassing him with his favorite question ever. "Are you mad?" Now, if you want to make someone angry, ask them that question a good half-dozen times. It's sure to do the trick!

But, I'm not here to give you advice on how to irritate the ever-lovin' piss out of your loved one. I'm sure most you can manage that with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back!

The point I'm trying to make here - and probably failing to do so - is that I'm lucky. The hubby and I have a very good relationship. Of course, that doesn't mean we don't take each other for granted sometimes, because we do. We might not say thank you enough or acknowledge the other person's contributions as we should, but we still manage to live together without our marriage dissolving into tantrums.

In fact, every now and again we manage to actually recapture a little bit of what we had before the kidlets arrived on the scene. This last weekend was especially nice because we actually managed to ship the kids off to my sister's (Thanks, Meg!) and had a date-night. Nothing fancy. Nothing extreme. Just perfect.

First we ran to the local brewery store where the hubby purchased a kit for a new batch of homebrew and I picked up two bottles of wine. Then we made our way to Bennigan's. The service was great, but the kitchen had issues. By the time the management had offered us coupons for free appetizers and we had used our gift card, we only had to pay a few bucks. Then we went to Kohl's where we both got one new work outfit apiece and the kids some fall jackets. After that, we did the unthinkable. Seriously! The unthinkable! We went to a bookstore.

I might have fallen just a little more in love with that man right then and there. He actually agreed to walk inside a bookstore. Granted, there was Starbucks coffee inside, which was likely the only reason he agreed, but he agreed! Better yet, he even browsed a bit. Doesn't matter that we wandered through the History section, the Sports section, or the Techy aisles. Doesn't matter at all. Although I noticed he kept me pretty well away from the fiction. I think he knew my self-control could only be pushed so far before it snapped.

The only downside of this glorious one-on-one time with my hubby is that we don't do it often enough. We don't make a point to just get out of the house and reconnect with each other on a regular basis. We don't carve out time for our relationship like we do for the other things in our lives, things like school, work, children, sporting events. It's something I'd like to work on. I think we both deserve time with each other and no other distractions.

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:27 PM

    You forgot to mention the "Sex" section of the book store. We stopped there too. It even had pictures! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I could count on you to mention it, hubby dearest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAH! I'm always asking Sarah "Are you ok? Are you ok? Are you ok?" and driving her insane. She just looks sad sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, so cute that you had a date night. My favorite "date nights" with Matt are the ones that involve(d) walking around Meijer and or Walmart at 2-3 am for no reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know when the next one is scheduled. I had a great time that night with my nephews. It's not often...definately NOT often enough that I get to do that. Gage even said..."your the coolest Aunt Megan" and he ate all his dinner!!

    So did you buy the books big K?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:56 PM

    You make me a little bit jealous. The only romance I get it through the phone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys