Skip to main content

A Frustrating Discovery

So I get home last night to find my husband a little stressed out. Okay, a lot stressed out. The oldest child forgot to bring home half of his homework. Again. All of a sudden it's become standard practice to leave books and worksheets in his locker instead of stuffing them in his backpack.

After dinner I offer to run up to the school to see if I can get into his locker to retrieve said homework. The first few doors I tried were locked, but eventually I found a way into the school. I explain to the only person I see what I'm there for and they let me wander through the hallways. Finally, I make my way to the Fifth Grade hall and locate his locker. Twirl the lock until the three digit code is accepted, lift on the little silver handle, and pull the locker door open.

And see red.

No wonder nothing is coming home. He couldn't find his homework or his textbooks if he wanted to! Papers, books, folders, and a sweatshirt litter the bottom of the locker. It's a good foot deep. Now, he shares this atrocity with a fellow classmate, so it stands to reason this mess isn't all his. Luckily, I know who and where his locker-mate lives, so I decide to grab everything but the sweatshirt and the textbooks.

I take the mess home, ground the child for life, and then set about trying to figure out what's still relevant, what needs to be done for tomorrow, and what can be thrown away. I put the other child's work into a separate stack that my husband hand delivers to the child's grandparents, who are all "oh, you know how boys are...".

Yeah, we do. We also know they tend to respond well to a little discipline. Try it.

So the child finishes his homework, which was dramatically reduced by the fact he had completed his homework at school and it only needed to be double-checked. If he would have simply put it in his folder and brought it home, I would not have discovered the world's most appalling locker. He would not have been grounded or harped at about the need for a little organization. I would not have said I will be conducting random locker inspections.

Which I know have to do because I said I would be conducting random locker inspections. Gah!

Comments

  1. okay-so he's getting a rough start here...don't come down on him too hard, just remember POSITIVE reenforcement :-)

    So were you thinking that dorky marker board just might be the trick? lol. Poor kid, he's just got to find a system that works for him.

    Maybe the teacher would be willing to keep a folder in the classroom for him-have him put all homework in it right before he leaves class and then it's just to the bookbag? I'd at least see if they have any ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or carry a RED folder from class to class-one that he keeps with him all day??

    ReplyDelete
  3. He never took the whiteboard with him, so we never tried it. It may very well be something we attempt.

    Right now he's got a folder with all his homework in it. All he needs to do is grab this ONE folder and take it with him to each class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I may have had a messy desk at home (and boy did I ever), but my desks and lockers at school were always neat. And I don't care "how boys are", it's better for them to learn organization NOW than when they're 24!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys