Skip to main content

My Hubby is Going to Kill Me

I know better than to walk into a bookstore. Really, I do.

But sometimes I just can't seem to help myself. Sometimes the urge to browse aisle after aisle of bookshelves is too much to fight. So I go and I browse and I buy.

Today was one of those days when I just needed a break from the office. Usually I sit at my desk and eat a frozen entree while reading a novel or doing homework. Today I wanted out. I needed a breather. The desire to escape had little to do with work and more to do with the damn gloomy weather outside my window.

So I decided to brave the rain/snow mix and head off toward Barnes & Nobles. I ate at the Starbucks Cafe (jeez, is that expensive!) and bought a couple of books. At least one of them was a bargain book! The other two were not and I probably could have done without them, but that wicked little voice inside told me I'd find them indespensible. It told me to go ahead and splurge. Damnable little voice!

So I bought The Historian (my bargain book for less than $5) and The Artist's Way and one of its companion books. The little book made me cry, right there in the middle of the store. Seriously, tears were falling, people. The smaller of the two books is more inspirational than anything else, like little messages from God.

I know. I am lame.

I don't care.

I've been on a creative kick lately, reading and researching it, trying to find ways to nourish it. Not only for myself but for my kids. That clip I posted last week really got me thinking. It also happened to scare the crap out of me!

So I'm off to nourish my creative soul. You should, too!

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:10 AM

    So how'd that $45 lunch work out for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that sometimes you have to listen to that little voice, if you don't it only gets louder. I hope Ken does not try to kill you..remind him that he spends money on his brewing and you spend money on books, fair trade in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except he doesn't spend nearly as much as I do...

    And that lunch killed me. I'm still paying for it in stomach cramps. I'm thinking either the chicken was bad or the mayo was. Either way, it certainly hasn't settled well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bargain books are great! They let you average the price of all the books you get to something easier to swallow.

    Bargain book - $5
    Splurge book - $35
    A third book - $20
    Average - $20 per book!

    I still don't particularly like that average, but it does kind of soften the $35 one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys