Skip to main content

Crossing My Fingers

Today my oldest had his second trial run of the ADHD meds at school. We gave him a dose yesterday just to make sure it wouldn't upset his stomach - it didn't.

He called me a little after 8 and said he thought he was going to throw up. I told him to get his little fanny back to class. I wasn't buying it.

Of course, the rest of the day I've been waiting for another phone call. You know the one. You're kid just vomited everywhere and you need to come get him ASAP.

Luckily, that didn't happen. He made it through the whole day without getting sick.

Now for the really amazing part of the story. After school today my husband received a phone call from the boy's teacher. She wanted us to know how the day went. It went amazing!! She said he was a totally different child and she meant it in a good way. He was focused. During their spelling test he wrote out the word, read it, fixed it if he could. He didn't get a 100%, but he got a smiley face on the paper if that's any indication of how well he did. Then she told my husband about math. I think her exact words were "He did things today that I've never seen him do." Like multiplication in his head. Not small numbers, either. These were problems that could result in sums like 44,000. Although, I think they were significantly less. Like 61 x 5. Anyhow, she said he was one of the first kids to raise his hands and, even more impressive, he got quite a few of them right!

She's very excited. Hopeful.

I'm praying it's not a fluke. I'm praying that the meds we fought so hard to avoid are working some kind of modern science miracle. Maybe school won't be the uphill battle it's always been for him. Maybe it'll get easier. Maybe he won't feel incapable and inadequate any more.

Comments

  1. That is so exciting! I really hope that the medicine is having some positive effect on him! My niece has Aspbergers, a mild form of autism, and her pediatrician recommended this prescription that was suppose to work wonders! Her parents were always a little reluctant to try meds and really had tried everything else in the book before giving this a try. The progress is dramatically different! She really is like a whole different girl, but in the best way possible! She, too, was on the verge of retaking a grade level. It was such a great situation that it worked out, and ultimately thats all that matters. So, while it's not the same situation, I can only imagine what kind of a change you must be going through, if it's remotely as noticeable as my nieces!

    I hope it all works out well and he continues to respond so well to it! Good luck you guys!! Love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, I am The Mama Bear of The Cafe at the End of the Universe (http://cafeendofuniverse.blogspot.com/) and I have stopped by today to let you know you have found your way onto the Magnificent Mamas of the Universe Blogroll. Joining numerous moms from throughout the blogosphere. Welcome.

    In addition I have added you to my Fellow Writers blogroll.

    I hope the meds do the trick for your son.

    Blessings,
    Penelope Anne
    The Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Vana. We're pretty excited by the very noticeable difference in his ability to focus. He's always been my flighty, fast-talking, constantly-moving, smiley-faced boy. Now he's still still smiley, but the motor isn't running at quite so many rpms, if you know what I mean.

    Mama Bear - Hi! I'll have to check out your blog as well as the Magnificent Mamas. Thanks for the add!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista, I'm so happy the meds are working! Hopefully the miracle will continue and your son will succeed again and again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys