Skip to main content

Creative Alliance Open Mic Night

Last night was one of those rare evenings when I didn't have to rush from work to the daycare. The hubby had taken the day off to go golfing. Afterwards he decided to pick up the boys early and take them fishing on the Reservoir. This meant I didn't have to worry about being Mommy for a few hours. I could do whatever I wanted!

I had to return some books I had borrowed from my mom. We visited for about an hour. Her garden may be small but it's already producing some veggies and fruit. Amazing.

When she found out I was going to a bookstore to listen to some author-types, she said she'd ride along. We just had to wait for her daughter to return. Well, eventually the teenager returned and we were able to pack up and head over to the bookstore. I have to admit I was a bit hesitant when she told the girls to get their shoes on, but I figured they could browse the bookstore while we listened to the readings.

It didn't quite work out that way. I'd never been to the bookstore before and didn't realize it would be about half the size of my house. The first level of my house, mind you.

When we arrived the readings were already underway. Mom grabbed us a small glass (okay, it was a plastic cup) of wine while I worked my way to the back of the audience. The girls hovered in the background. It was about five minutes later I started feeling a bit uncomfortable. Not for my sake. And not really for the girls' sakes--they're going to learn that people have different opinions and perspectives eventually. It was mom that I started worrying about as the poetry argued to legalize marijuana and other likewise morally-questionable ideals.

Mom is a bit conservative. Not so much when she's on her own, but with the two girls within earshot I knew she'd be uncomfortable with the content and some of the language. I was right. At the first break she jumped on the first excuse to leave.

No problem. I drove her and the girls home and then turned around and went right back to the reading.

I really enjoyed myself. I've never attended an open mic before and found the experience quite enjoyable. Inspiring. Exciting. Invigorating. It made me want to go home and write poetry.

I don't write poetry! I hate writing poetry! Whenever I've been forced into producing something poetic, I realize I am a lame poet. Yet, those few hours really made me consider giving myself permission to write poetry, even if it turns out horrendous and never sees the light of day.

Of course, it also made me want to get back to the novel. Pushed me towards that publication goal. Because you know, I was seriously thinking I wasn't going to even pursue publication with the latest novel. Now, I'm not so sure. Why not try? What do I have to lose?

I guess there's something about knowing that there are like-minded and similiarly driven people nearby. I was even invited to their Thursday workshops. I don't know that I'll go, but it was nice to feel included.

Comments

  1. Krista! Poetry! :)

    One day you are going to crack and will fall in love with poetry, I know it...

    ...or maybe not, but at least you enjoyed your free evening.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys