I'm Writing

I have three stories I'm working on at the moment. One of them is a short story I wrote yesterday for my creative writing class at the University. Another is the collaboration with my sister, Chrissy, which is shaping up into a paranormal historical romance. The last of my WIPs is my vampire romance.

The short story came together in an hour's time. I don't like the ending but I already have a few ideas on how to modify it into something more short-storyish. True to my writing nature, I didn't finish things, just left them hanging. It's not the best thing I've written, but let's be honest, short stories are NOT my thing. Never have been. Probably never will be. I write them for class and as writing challenges but never because I feel inspired to write something short.

The second story--the collab--needs a lot attention. My sister has had time to play with this concept for years. I'm coming to it a little more green behind the ears. I told her I'd come up the hero's backstory and current issues. Yeah. I don't even have a name. Working on that.

The third story is where most of my energy has been directed. I'm cruising. I'm not saying the story is perfect. It's a first draft so how can it be? I am saying that I'm enjoying writing Makenna and Gabe's story. I think part of that enjoyment comes from knowing I have really no intention of attempting publication with this story. I'm writing for someone close to me who has never read any of my work and asked for a story as a Christmas gift. The only concern I have is that I don't get it done before we exchange gifts.

This brings me to NaNoWriMo. I'm not participating this year. I just can't. I had good intentions, even signed up, but there's no way I can complete this vampire romance, work on the collab, keep up with my class assignments, and start a new project. It'd be suicide. So I'm not even entering the race.

To those of you in the grips of NaNo, may the muses be kind and generous.