What a Weekend

I realize it's Friday and this weekend will be starting in just a few short hours but the title of this post refers to last weekend.

We were scheduled to leave Saturday around noon to go camping so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to allow my oldest son to have a guest Friday night and my youngest son to go spend the evening with his cousin. In all honesty, it wasn't a big deal. Our house guest was incredibly well-behaved and well-mannered (kudos to his parents!). My youngest son had a blast at a bonfire complete with fireworks and marshmellows.

After taking our house guest home and picking up our youngest and our nephew, we left the house on Saturday by 11:30. A whole half hour ahead of schedule! Miracles do happen.

I had asked to take my nephew with us because he's going through a rough time with his parents' divorce and I was hoping the trip would help distract him. I must admit I was a bit nervous about taking this extra little person with us but all went well. The kids played well together with only a few minor arguments, in and out of the water.

Sunday dawned bright and beautiful. Unfortunately it not only brought sunshine and warmth, it brought the flu. Yes, the flu. Of course at the time we didn't realize it was the flu. When my youngest started throwing up I assumed he had eaten too much junk food the day before, then I worried it was heat exhaustion (the camper doesn't have air and it was HOT in there the night before), then I worried he was allergic to the pond water he had gone swimming in the day before. Not once did I think "great, he has the flu."

Hello. Not flu season.

He stopped throwing up in the afternoon and ate a little bit. Even went swimming later that night--giving weight to my heat exhaustion theory. He livened right up in the water and seemed fine. He even watched the fireworks that night.

Sidenote: My sister had come up for the fireworks show and took her little guy home with her. He had asked for her the night before and I doubted he'd do well staying another night with us. Poor baby.

Monday the puking started all over again. Okay, so it must have been the pond water, right? After all, his dad gets plugged up everytime he goes swimming in a pond or lake. The little guy has always had allergy problems, so allergies seemed a reasonable culprit. Especially when the puking stopped mid-afternoon again.

Wouldn't you know that night my stomach started turning. By morning, I was the one throwing up outside the camper in a garbage can. Not pretty. I felt so bad for the people sleeping in the tent next to our site. I finally managed to get things under control and could help the hubby break down camp. We were about halfway done repacking the camper when our oldest gets sick.

Although the campground was only an hour and a half away, that was the longest ride home. Flu + bumpy roads = feeling really shitty.

Luckily the thing seemed to run its course in two days. I ended up extending my long weekend by another day but I much rather would have been at work. I think my boys would have rather gone to daycare.

Let's hope we've seen the last of it. Considering we have two parties at our house tomorrow (a baby shower and a retirement party later that evening), my hubby doesn't have time to get sick!