Surgery & A Birthday Party

Well, we managed to survive both.

The little guy had surgery on Friday. We had to be at the hospital by 6:30 a.m., which means I had to get my lazy butt out of bed by 4:30 so we could leave by 5:30. We let the kids sleep until the last possible second. I figured they could get dressed later and would be happier if they could snuggle into their blankets on the way down. This worked very well indeed. They slept most of the way.

My little guy was understandably nervous when they began prepping him for surgery. I was so proud of him. He was so very brave. When they gave him the silly-juice he started waving across the hallway another patient. Even though the lady didn't notice him, he kept right on a waving, smiling from ear to ear. It was so darn cute!

Unfortunately, the after-effects of the anesthetic wasn't at all adorable. The poor baby cried for at least a half-hour. They had warned us this was highly likely but it didn't make it any easier to handle. I've never felt to useless. Even though I held him, hugged him, kissed him, sang to him, he cried and cried. He cried for his daddy. When daddy held him, he cried for me.

When he finally got something to drink and a popsicle, his crying turned into sniffles and then disappeared altogether. He ate three popsicles and drank some 7-Up before they finally released him.

Before we could see him in the recovery room the surgeon came out to talk to us. It seems the cyst is congenital, which means it's been there since birth. We already knew this because we've watched it develop from a dimple in his newborn skin into the abcsessed monstrosity it became. What we didn't know was the increased potential of new cysts developing. Apparently they could pop up anywhere from his chin to his collarbone.

Let's hope not. This poor baby has been through enough!

I have to say I've been impressed with how well he's done since the surgery. He's only taken the pain medication twice! Not bad considering it's only been three days.

Everyone got to look at his bandage on Saturday because my oldest boy turned eight. We always invite the family over to join in the celebration. So his cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents each had a chance to ooh and ahh over his owie.

Of course, his brother wasn't ignored. I took a few minutes on Friday night to make his pumpkin pies (requested months ago) and then a fun-fetti cake early Saturday afternoon. Of course, I almost forgot to wrap his gift so I had closet myself in the bedroom while the kids watched cartoons in the living room.

Eventually all our guests arrived. We ate sloppy joes and chips, sang Happy Birthday to the birthday boy, and watched him open his gifts. As usual, he was spoiled beyond comprehension. I think his favorite toy wasn't the Robo-pet we got him but the Yu-Gi-Oh Battle Disk. Figures. Although, he did have a lot of fun with the robo-pet today when it was just him and his brother.