Skip to main content

Justifying the Time

Writing looks, in a lot of ways, like a very selfish enterprise. - Gail (chatroom buddy and writing pal)

This little statement really hit home with me when I read it on the screen during a recent chat. When I consider my personal struggle with finding and taking the time to write, I invariably end up feeling guilty. Not because anyone says or does anything to make me feel bad but because I have a hard time justifying the time and effort.

I've often dreamed of retiring from the day job and making writing my fulltime profession. In this little fantasy of mine I see myself dedicated to the computer while the kids are in school and the hubby is at work. I see myself succeeding because I've finally found guilt-free time to focus on the story. Distractions would be minimimal and yet I'd still manage to be wife, mom and housekeeper. I'd churn out the stories and start peddling them to agents and pubishers alike.

Of course, I never quit the day job because that would be irresponsible and, dare I say it, selfish. My income is just as necessary as my husband's. It does more than pay for daycare, it allows us to eat on a regular basis and remained clothed in more than tatters. My checks also help to fund things like vacations, Christmas, birthdays, and anniversaries. Hubby's checks pay the bills--mine make life comfortable. Quitting my job to write would probably kill my marriage and force me to stop spoiling my very spoiled children. So I keep working.

Working full-time means my time is limited. Should I lock myself away to write when the kids need help with homework? The dishes need to be done? Laundry is piled sky-high? Dust bunnies are gathering under the furniture? Do I sacrafice a social life I value? And what about my extended family? Do I blow them off to write?

I know many people are faced with the same dilemma and I know some of them answer those questions quite the opposite I do. I'll admit I have regrets when it comes to my writing. I know I don't give it or myself a chance to shine. But I've yet to regret spending time with my loved ones, of providing for my family, and taking care of them the best I know how.

Perhaps someday when the kids are grown and the mortgage is paid, I'll be able to retire and devote myself to the one true professional goal I've ever held. I know the writing will always be there; it's been a part of me for too long and has survived many years of neglect.

Should I manage to get lucky with the sporadic writing and even more sporadic submissions I mail out, maybe my priorities will change. In the meantime, I'm going to continue to play with my kids, attend social functions, love my husband, and keep our house relatively clean. (I can't vouch for the laundry or the toilets...I hate them both.)

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Don't let other people, who make other choices, dictate what you "ought" to do. You have to live with your decisions, not them. Don't ever feel bad about doing life goals in sequence. No one really has it all at the same time. That's a myth. And all that living you're doing now pays off with material to write about.

    Remember, I'm 51 and I did what you're doing. I raised my family and wrote when I wanted to. Now I'm pursuing my dreams. My inspirations are people like Laura Ingalls Wilder--65 when her first novel was published; Tony Hillerman--in his 70s when his first was published; and Helen Hoover Santmeyer who was 96 when her first was published.

    Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:49 PM

    I think you've got a plan there Krista. Besides.... your family and your life are always going to be important-- you'd be completely different if you did quit your day job and dedicated yourself to nothing but writing.
    In my own opinion, your making the right decision. Sending in a few at a time... maybe you'll get lucky early on. Someday you'll be able to write more and give it more time, guilt free.
    Until then... do what you feel is right. ^.^ Writing is in your blood. It's not going to leave you. It will be there when you decide to unleash it.

    -<3-
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:08 PM

    I know this is an older entry--what can I say, I was surfing blogs!

    I work full time 3/4 of the year, and have three kids, so I know what you are going through. Finding time is the hardest part! And when I do find time, in the back of my mind are those annoying little thoughts--"You could clean out the fridge...you haven't made snickerdoodles in months..." Hate that.

    Still, I persist. I sold a short story, which made it all more real to my hubby, which only helps. But, heck, I've been writing for years! There is no way of getting around it--writing requires hours at the keyboard! It is a solitary pursuit.

    Best of luck in your wrtiing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

I Heart Faces Week 18 Entry - Laughter

We had a lovely time at the tea house on Saturday. After eating three scrumptious courses and drinking a variety of teas , we decided to try on a few hats . There were also gloves, tiaras, boas, and fur stoles. It was fun being a little girl again, even for a few minutes. We giggled and we laughed, which made this shot possible: