Skip to main content

5 Biggest Mistakes

In response to Holly's challenge:

These are the "mistakes" I'm ever so grateful for making. Holly wanted us to list five mistakes but three seems to be my limit tonight. I'm getting tired!!


#1
College: Settling for less.


I really wanted to be a marine biologist when I graduated from high school. I loved my science classes, had a fascination for anything aquatic, and had dreams of swimming with the dolphins and studying the sharks in their natural environment. Of course, my grades weren't the best back then but I felt certain I could do it if I put my mind to it. After all, I got decent grades with very little effort. Put some studying into the mix and I imagined I'd be just fine.

There were a couple reasons why I didn't pursue this dream. Money was a big one. My dad was the sole provider for a family of seven but, apparently, he made too much money. I could get loans but not grants. Scholarships were, at that time, out of the question. I just didn't have the grades or the scores. Not then.

The idea of putting myself into debt didn't sit well. By chance a friend of my future husband worked for a consortium. If I picked a career and college from their list, they'd pay for it all. They'd pay tuition, provide gas money, and even cover the cost of textbooks. This was a deal too sweet to pass up. So I looked at their list and made a practical choice. Everyone gets sick and a medical assistant should be able to find a job easily enough.

My school of choice also happened to be the same institution my high school sweetheart attended. Bonus.

#2
Career Decisions:


I graduated from college with a degree I realized too late I didn't want and had no intention of utilizing. My internship at a local doctor's office convinced me I wasn't cut out for a life filled with sickness and blood. Okay, mostly it was the blood that did me in.

It was my first in-office surgery and I passed out cold. Now, that might not sound so bad but fainting is not exactly what happens when I hit the floor. Oh, no. I have to seize. My eyes roll, the body shakes, and I happened to lose bladder control on that particular day. (Can't believe I just admitted that to the whole wide world....)

Now, I'm not epileptic. Since the age of 13 I've undergone numerous tests in an attempt to discover what exactly my problem is. The convulsions (or whatever you'd like to call these little fits) started when I had a serious allergic reaction that summer so long ago. If I'm seriously ill or seriously freaked out, my body just kind of does it's own thing. Not a good thing to have happen when you realize the sight of blood really freaks you out.

So, I walked across the stage, got my degree, and tucked it away. I took an administrative position that eventually led to my current position. This position provides so much more than a mere medical assistant job would have (no offense meant to those souls who find satisfaction in that field!). I have great benefits, a decent wage, and flexibility in my schedule. This job has given me the means to help my husband provide the life we both wanted for ourselves and our children. It has also given me the means to pursue another degree, one which means something to me.


#3:
Writing: Setting aside the Dream


Even before I wanted to be a marine biologist I knew writing was just something I was destined to do. I probably didn't decide I wanted to make it a profession until I was in my teens. Yet, it's so not a practical career choice! I was also aware of the uphill battle publishing would be and I wasn't sure I wanted to stake my future on something so uncertain. Thus Mistake Numbers 1 & 2.

Looking back I'm so grateful I didn't hold out for publication. I might have loved to write but it didn't mean I was ready to go pro. Not by a long shot. I had a lot of growing up to do. I needed to experience life and not just read about it.

Unfortunately, I didn't write while I pursued an education, a career, and a family. Other than the occassional short story or poem, I set it aside for several years. I found other hobbies to express my creativity. Yet, the writing never really let go, and now I'm ready to learn the craft and put forth the time and effort necessary to fulfill the dream.

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:10 AM

    Hmm... good mistakes but those seizes and stuff are kind of scary sounding. Still haven't had a doctor take a look at them?
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys