Skip to main content

Dieting & Exercise

Just for the record...I hate both.

Dieting is akin to cruel and unusual punishment. I love ice cream. I love chocolate. I even love those little candies made of pure sugar (sprees, sweetarts, bottlecaps). Pasta dishes number among my favorites. Everything I love is bad for me. That totally sucks. I mean really, really sucks.

I've tried dieting. Atkins, calorie, fruits & veges only. Nothing seems to make a bit of difference. Deprivation doesn't seem to be the key to weight loss for me.

I've tried exercising. I joined Curves last April. There were a few weeks I failed to actually make it there three times a week but they weren't the norm, they were the exception. I kept at it for a year. I lost 15 inches but not a single damn pound. Very frustrating.

Recently the dh & I purchased a home gym. We started out strong but soccer, t-ball, and softball have been rather unforgiving. I'm hoping we get back into a steady routine soon. The only bad thing about this gym is it doesn't offer any cardiovascular exercises, which has led me to the realization I need cardiovascular more than I need weight training. The free weights will help tone but they're not going to help me lose weight.

I want to lose 15 pounds. I've wanted to lose these same 15 pounds for three and a half years now. They arrived with the C-section necessary to bring my youngest child into this world. And they've taken up residence.

I'm in a wedding in August. I really want to shed this weight.

I'm going to have to limit my sugar intake, use the home gym for toning, and start running. I haven't ran since High School track. I can't even imagine getting down to a six-minute mile again. What a goal that would be! But I'm not going to set myself up for failure. If I can get out at least three nights a week and walk for at least a half-hour, I should notice something.

Shouldn't I?



Comments

  1. I am not sure I understand correctly... if you lose inches, can't you wear smaller clothes? What does the weight matter if you look thinner?

    Depending on your weight you probably burn about 100 calories per mile if you walk 4 miles per hour. Which means you would need to walk 45 minutes to burn 300 calories. To lose one pound per week you need to reduce or burn 500 calories every day. (3500 calories equal one pound.) I haven't had soda in a long time but I think reducing by three sodas per day would equal a pound a week. Or just a few fewer candies. A few bites less of the ice cream...You get the idea.

    I don't believe in the reduced carb diets, so I couldn't help you with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When measured at Curves, the inches are from EVERYWHERE. I lost 15 inches overall--arms, bust, waist (ha!), butt, thighs, calves. So while 15 inches sounds pretty good, it didn't put me into a smaller pant size.

    I won't do the carb diet ever again. I did it for 3 weeks--20 carbs or less a day--and lost exactly 1 pound. Not enough pay off.

    I gave up pop for 3 months. Didn't make a bit of difference.

    The strange thing about my weight is the fact it doesn't budge. I don't lose but I don't gain. I can eat like shit for days and days and still weigh the same thing I do if I diet and exercise. It's bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, since I spouted all that healthy stuff I learned in wellness class, I'll tell the truth. My weight is pretty hard to budge too. The only way I have ever been successful at losing weight is barely eating anything. The thing is, once it's been down for awhile I can start eating again and it will stay there. Mostly. Last year for some reason my weight went up ten pounds in two months and over the last year it has gone up another ten pounds, and it's still creeping up! I don't know what's going on.

    About the weight not budging, though, I have heard that your body gets used to being a certain weight, and it takes a little while to get it to move from that weight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys