Skip to main content

Camping Adventures in My Class C

 

My New Camper

Before he passed away, Ken made me promise that I would keep camping. He knew how much I enjoyed it and he didn't want me to give up something that brought me pleasure. When things weren't looking good near the end, I had even asked him if he thought we should sell the fifth wheel right then because I knew I wasn't up to hauling it. He shot that idea down pretty fast. He told me I could take care of it later. In retrospect, I don't think he had the mental, emotional, or physical energy necessary to deal with selling it.

My first camping trip after his passing was in that giant fifth wheel.  Gage hauled it over to Wolverine Campground for me. I followed behind in my Traverse. After getting set up, Gage and Hallie went home and I was camping once more. 

It was strange for so many reasons. I had camped by myself before but this time I was a widow. I was responsible for not only the inside tasks, which I had always been in charge of, but now I was also responsible for the outside tasks. Of course, there were a few hiccups. Luckily, I wasn't completely alone at the campground. 

Jeff and Laura were camping right next to me. Thank goodness! Jeff helped me figure out what I needed to do in order to get rid of the winterizing fluids. 

Of course, being at the campground with the two of them felt a little strange because we were normally a foursome. They had become our most frequent camping buddies over the years, so Ken's absence was tangible. He was the ghost lurking at the campfire. He was the missing person at the kitchen table when it rained. It was all very strange and sad. 

The weekend was made even more difficult by the tornado watch that was issued shortly after dinner on Saturday evening. We all piled into our cars and headed home to our respective basements. Yes, we were camping that close to home. 

Our second trip in the 5th wheel was our last. Gage pulled it up to River Ridge Family Campground. On the way, we had a bit of trouble. The road we were on was so rough it bounced the cord out of its cubby hole above the hitch and we ended up shredding the electric cable. We were stranded on the side of the road until some kind man saw us and stopped to offer some assistance.  Knowing we had no brakes, brake lights, or blinkers, he offered to follow us from where we sat on the side of the road to our campground. 

That was a rough trip. We didn't even stay through our entire reservation. It was too difficult being there for our annual 4th of July camp with our friends when Ken was so missed. Gage struggled. Our friends struggled. I struggled.  Leaving early felt like the right call and I don't regret my decision to pack up and head home.  Not even a little. 

The outdoor kitchen was nice and I miss it.

I ended up trading in the fifth wheel the next month. I found myself a smaller, more manageable class C motorhome that I could drive myself without having to rely on Gage's availability to tow me around. It's small. Super small.  Luckily, I usually camp alone now, which means it's a perfect fit for me and the two dogs. 

Because I bought it so late in the season, I didn't get to do a lot of camping in it. The problems, though, started immediately.  I had to take it back to the dealership a week after I purchased it because the onboard generator was not properly bolted down and was wrecking the floor near the dinette. Also, the air conditioning blew a thermostat fuse. All of this was discovered with driveway test runs. Ugg.  I'd like to say that was the end of my troubles with this brand new 2022 motorhome, but they were just the beginning. I am STILL dealing with faulty parts. Most of these problems were discovered while camping, though, so at least I'm getting some use out of her!

We went Halloween camping. We decorated our sites and handed out candy to the campground trick-or-treaters. 



I drove it from Michigan to Florida with my dad in order to spend a week in Orlando.  We visited three Disney theme parks that week. (We also had air conditioning trouble again that I only recently got fixed...the joys of having a brand new camper that was constructed during the pandemic.)



Dad and I had a great vacation together. On our way down to Florida, we stopped in Kentucky at my Aunt Wilma's house for a couple of nights. We boondocked in her side yard. I used the generator to run my fan, the Keurig, and the microwave. We also used the generator when we stayed overnight in Tennessee at Tsali Notch Vineyards. 

Since that big trip down south, I've done some local camping and even taken the motorhome to my mom's for a weekend visit. 


These trips make me feel good about my investment. I did not make a mistake in making this major purchase so soon after Ken's death. I am fulfilling a promise and making memories with my loved ones. I am also enjoying some much-needed solitude when I need it. 


Being at the campground by myself can be a good thing. When I went on my first solo trip of the season - no kids with me, no friends camped nearby - I edited photos, did Soduko, watched Blu Ray movies, wrote in my journal, and worked on my novel. There were absolutely no demands on my time and I found so much joy in that knowledge. It refreshed me in ways only another introvert can probably appreciate. 

Of course, the season is only halfway over and most of my trips will be with friends or family. I just came home from our annual 4th of July trip, which went so much better this year than it did last year. Gage and Hallie stayed with me. There were three adults and three dogs in my little camper. It got messy and crowded, but we did it! 

Our camping group.  My motorhome, Jimmy and Laura's camper, Dustin in his parent's camper, 
and, finally, Jeff and Laura's camper. 

This upcoming weekend I have plans with another group of friends at the Rifle River Outdoor Adventure campground in Sterling. Then, the following weekend, we will be boondocking at Faster Horses. I imagine it will be a little crowded that trip with six of us trying to use my camper!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys