Skip to main content

Day 01 - A Picture and Some Facts

Yep, that's me.  This was early Christmas morning, fresh from bed.  I don't think I've brushed my hair or teeth yet, to be honest.  I was much too excited about opening presents to be bothered with basic hygiene.

I guess that leads nicely into my 15 facts...

Fact #1:
Even though I pull off being an adult with some success, I'm truly a kid at heart.  Christmas morning is a perfect example.  My children would have slept for who knows how long if I hadn't decided it was time to get the day started.  When my dad found out, he laughed and said some things never change.  I assume this was because I was almost always the one waking up my brothers and sisters - rarely did my brother beat me to it. 

Fact #2:
Speaking of siblings, I am the oldest of five.  I have two brothers and two sisters.  The boys are sandwiched between us girls.

Fact#3: 
My youngest sister is from my Dad's second marriage.  Yep, that means I'm a child of divorce.  My parents split when I was ten years old.  Unlike most divorces back then, though, my Dad ended up with custody of us kids.  This allowed us to stay in our home and, by extension, in our school district.  Although my Fifth Grade teacher may disagree, I really think this gave us some sense of normalcy that year and helped get us through the worst of the drama.

Fact #4:
By staying in our house, I also was lucky enough to grow up next door to my cousins.  They relocated from the next town over a few years after the divorce was final.  My cousin, who is one of my dearest friends, was in Fifth Grade that year and wasn't happy about the move because she'd be leaving her friends behind.  For my own selfish reasons, I was delighted.  Growing up in the middle of the woods could be fun, but it could also be incredibly boring when you'd had enough of your siblings.  I was certain having a playmate my own age and gender nearby was going to be awesome - and I was right. 

I have to say that growing up next door to them made me want the same thing for my kids.  Granted, we don't live next door to any of my siblings, but most of us live in the same small town.  This means that even if we choose to send our kids to different schools (private vs. public), the kids usually end up in the same extracurricular sports.  This is changing, though, as the kids begin having a voice in which sport(s) they want to participate in.    

Fact #5: 
I'm not a soccer mom.  At least, not any more.  The boys were done with soccer when the oldest boy started playing football.  The two seasons overlapped too much for my taste, so we decided to quit soccer and focus on the town's more socially acceptable pastime.  (What?  We may not be Texas, but trust me when I tell you that our teeny, tiny town is all about the football.)

Of course, football isn't the only sport my boys play.  We're getting ready to head into basketball now.  In fact, the oldest has his first practice tonight. Once that season ends, I believe we'll be attending track meets.

Fact #6:
Usually I'm juggling the full-time job and my school schedule during their sports seasons.  It's been a challenge, but I'm finally only six credits away from graduating with my Masters in English Language and Literature.  Of course, I think I may add one more class into the mix, but that's a decision I'm not making today.

Fact #7:
I'm not making that decision today because I'm not taking classes this semester.  I decided a break was in order because I'm still not certain how I managed to pull off the last class I was in.  Life kind of fell apart in the fall.  I'm still working on pulling the pieces back together.

Fact #8:
One of those pieces comes in a furry, four-legged package.  If you've been following the blog at all, you already know that my Yorkie had a stroke in late November.  Although he's no longer on death's door, he's still not himself.  The fact is he may never be his pre-stroke self again, especially if he never regains his eyesight.

Fact #9:
Taking a blind dog - who also happens to have his days and nights screwed up - camping is already cause for concern.  Our camper is not sound proof.  A yappy dog at three in the morning is not going to make us any friends at the campground. In fact, it may get us kicked out.

Fact #10:
Other than that small, scary fact, we're looking forward to doing lots of camping this summer. Our youngest was adamant about not playing baseball this year, so we'll have the time and opportunity to make the most of the warm weather months.  Although we'll miss our baseball family, we're excited by the freedom to be found in a sports-free schedule!

Not to mention, without a hectic school and sports schedule to navigate, I am should be able to do my three favorite things: read, play video games, and scrapbook.  

Fact #11:
I am a voracious reader.  Voracious and eclectic.  I will read almost anything.  The reading material of choice is usually determined by mood.  Sometimes I feel like indulging in a steamy historical romance, sometimes I prefer some hard science in my science fiction.  Then there are days where only dragons and magic will do.  Just as there are days when a classic seems just the thing.  Reading the same type of book, one after another, holds absolutely no appeal.  I require variety! 

Fact #12: 
I love my Kindle, but I will always have a place on my bookshelves for paperbacks and discounted hardcovers.  Mainly because paperbacks are less of a risk when relaxing in a tub full of suds.  The idea of the Kindle dropping into the bathtub by accident is terrifying!

Fact #13:
In addition to reading as much as I can in the coming school-free months, I am also going to get back to my writing.  In fact, I start today!  This is only because a workable idea came to me last night. It still needs some work to make it, well, work, but there's some solid details I can work with now.

Fact #14: 
I'm self-published under a pseudonym because I'm hoping to reserve my legal name for the more traditional publishing route.  At least, this was the thought at the time I decided to self-publish.  Now that I've actually tried that route, I'm beginning to wonder just how hard I will pursue the traditional path.

Fact #15:
As if reading and writing aren't enough to keep me busy, I also plan on spending the next few months indulging in video games and scrapbooking.  My hubby got me a Silhouette for Christmas, which is beyond awesome.  I'm still learning the ins and outs, but believe me when I say that it will make scrapbooking even more fun than it already was.

There...that's my fifteen!  I guess it wasn't so bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys