Skip to main content

Unfinished Projects

I have a lot of unfinished projects sitting on my flash drive. And because I have nothing better to talk about today, I thought, hey, why not bore you with a list of all the stories I've started but not finished.

It's my blog. I can do what I want.

So, in no particular order, I give you the Unfinished Projects. (These aren't titles, but file names.)

Ashyss & Seiene - Started this one for last year's Nano. At a little over 3000 words, its the beginning of a dark fantasy novel. Ashyss has joined a mercenary crew against the wishes of her rather elite elfin family. The main conflict, if I remember correctly, was going to involve a missing family member, dying power sources, and political shifts.

I'd like to come back to this one mainly because I like the character. Of course, if I do come back to this one, I'm going to need to dig out the story notes because the intricacies of the plot and character development escape me at the moment.

Fairie Hunter - This one was started because of a story prompt, which means I did zero pre-planning. The idea was to defy the stereotypes associated with fantasy creatures. I made the Dwarves sexy and dangerous sirens. My main character, a bounty hunter, is chasing down evil fairies.

This idea still intrigues me, but I really have no idea what I'm doing with it.

Cece and Sassy-Girl - No idea where I'm going with this one, either. Opening scene introduces Cece and her trasken (beast of burden), Sassy-Girl. Cece is about to go rappelling over a cliff in search of a fabled statue that's supposed to control the weather, something she needs to help her family beat the terrible monsoons that have been destroying their crops for several years running.

This one has only 900 words written on it, but it seems to have the clearest stakes and goals. I think there might be a real story here if I take the time to plan things out.

Bounty Hunter: Strac and his werebeast are hot on the trail of a strange new threat to the kingdom. When they track the dangerous criminal down, he learns a disturbing truth about his king and himself. The criminal he's pinned down shares a lot in common with Strac's werebeast, expect its human. Not sure how much more I want to say because this one has been nagging me for a long time and should probably get more fully developed. When I pitched the idea to another writer (for a class), I was told it reminded her of something Mercedes Lackey might write. So, if you're familiar with her work, you might have an idea of where I'm going with this.

Halloween Vampire: A vampire is haunted by the ghost of her ex-lover. Not even 500 words on this one. I don't necessarily like what I wrote, but I find the concept entertaining.

Magic & Madness: This one. It's erotic fantasy. Not something I usually write, but the story idea really doesn't lend itself to any other genre. I've written a little over 10K on this one. The main character is attempting to escape temple life, but without resources she's stuck on the island. Her only hope of returning to her life at court is to buy passage on a ship heading for the mainland. Her desperation leads her to sell the goddess's magic, the kind that has long been forbidden. The spell backfires and soon has her in its mad grip. Since I try to keep this site PG-13, I'll stop there.

This one should be finished. It's a solid premise and the characters are intriguing.

Heart of a Dragon: Fantasy romance. A young scribe, on her first journey, is mistaken for a spy by a dragonrider. She's taken captive, helps uncover a political plot, and soon earns the dragonrider's love. This one needs a lot of work. Mainly because politics are not my strong suit, so figuring out the political structure of this fictional land is a pain in my ass.

Again, I like the main character, though, so I'm drawn to the story again and again.

Waif: A fantasy story about a child left in a small, rural village in the middle of a snowstorm. The child is fostered with a somewhat reluctant family at the instance of her mysterious guardian. My notes indicate she is the last of her kind, and that I have no idea what kind she is or what powers she may have.

I should probably delete this one.

Too Far From Home: A childless mother is enslaved on a distant planet. I assume I was going to write about her struggle to survive the "hellish conditions" while plotting a way to reunite with the children who were stolen away from her. Hm.

And finally....

Beneath the Heavens and Earth: The pseudo-Egyptian fantasy novel that refuses to cooperate. The story that has been haunting me for several years but resists every attempt to purge itself from my mind. I've come to the conclusion that the main character is at the heart of the problem. I don't much like her, which means if I'm ever going to get this one out of my head and onto the paper, I've got to do some serious re-characterization.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys