Skip to main content

Another trip down memory lane..

I'm quite a bit older than my sisters. When I was a teenager, they were still in their adolescence. As they approached their pre-teens, I was moving out and getting married, starting a life away from the home we had shared.

As you can imagine, our age difference meant while I was playing with barbies and running through the woods playing "fort" or whatever other imaginary scenario we could devise, they were kept close to home under the watchful eye of our parents. When they were finally ready to go traipsing through the 10-acres, I was too busy worrying about the boyfriend and the after-school job at the small grocery store/pizza place/video rental place.

However, I do have one memory in particular that I hold dear of the three of us bonding. I don't remember if it was spring, summer, fall or winter, but I spent several weeks reading the Anne of Green Gables series to them. We shared a room and, for the few weeks that it took to get through the six books, we'd take a good twenty to thirty minutes every night before bed to treat ourselves to the mischievous antics of red-headed Anne with an E.



And, before they call me out on it, I'll admit I bribed them. They had to rub my feet while I read. We often joke about this because while Chrissy did an awesome job, Meg...well, she would pretend to fall asleep. Not that I can blame her. I'd probably have done the same thing if I'd had the job.

I mention all this because I started re-reading the series. I'm still reading it right before bedtime and there are three of us piled onto the bed. Only this time, I'm reading it to my boys. The excuse is that my youngest can take an AR (accelerated reader) test on it once we're done, but the truth is I jumped at the chance to introduce them to a piece of literature that meant so much to me and, if I'm not too bold for saying so, to my sister's as well.

I can only hope the boys find Anne as endearing as my sisters and I did all those years ago.

Comments

  1. I loved that series, and I own all the books. And I do have to call you out on one detail. Meg rubbed your feet, yes poorly but still. I rubbed your back. I still love the movies too. You know when a book has broken into the mainstream when you see referiances to the book in other popular liturature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sis, I'm a little late in posting but have to admit the memory is very clear. I will never forget the comfort of your toes by my head as I slept... or tried to. Hahaha. But, come on, I had to rub your FEET! I remember you shaking your foot as you read along when I'd start to drift. And when that didn't do the trick you'd add a little shout "Meg-an". The books were great though and it's awesome your re-living them with your kids. (And hey, Enjoy Chicago)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys