Skip to main content

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

I finished it. Finally. 1000+ pages. Done!

And I only skipped about 10 pages of the world's longest, preachiest, most repetitive soliloquy ever uttered by a single character.

I have mixed feelings about the book. I thought the philosophy and social commentary were very provocative. I'm not sure I agree with half of what was said, but I must admit the story forced me to think. In fact, it forced me to think so often that I would read 5-10 pages and find myself needing a break just so I could digest what had been said, hinted at, or talked around. I think the need to stop and think had a lot to do with the parallels between fiction and our current reality. Oh, sure, things aren't quite as dreadful for us as they were for Rand's characters, but the potential is there. I think that's the most disturbing thing about her book. The exposure of underhanded greed and the corruption of governmental power in her book echo our current situation.

The truth is there was so much philosophy, economic theory, and social commentary in this book that I don't know if I can fully articulate even a fraction of what Rand was attempting to get across. Calling Atlas Shrugged a complex read would be sugar-coating things. This book is tough. Tough to read, tough to digest.

I often felt as if the author had set out to debunk a few literary stereotypes. It would be very easy to see the protagonists in this story as villains if the tale had been told from a slightly different vantage point. After all, the protagonists' actions leads to all sorts of disasters and catastrophes that ultimately result in the end of the American government and brings society to its knees. I couldn't help wondering what this story would have been like if it had been told from the other perspective, if the Movers in this story had been portrayed as the villains instead of the other way around. Then I realized it has been, at least a thousand times and in every genre.

After finishing the book, though, I think Rand truly believed (believes?) the story she told. I believe she shares the philosophies set down in the text.

All in all, I'd say this was an interesting read. I would also say another read through might be necessary, but I'm not about to undertake it any time soon. Maybe not at all.

If you'd like a synopsis of the book and the central philosophies explored in the massive tome, I suggest checking out Wikipedia. There might be some inaccuracies, but the plot and major philosophical issues seem to be covered.

However, if you'd rather just wait for the movie, it should be released in 2009.

Comments

  1. A movie?!?!


    Haha, I'm definitely gonna want to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rumor has it Angelina & Brad will be the stars (Dagny & John Galt).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I couldn't help wondering what this story would have been like if it had been told from the other perspective, if the Movers in this story had been portrayed as the villains instead of the other way around. Then I realized it has been, at least a thousand times and in every genre."

    Yes. Read it again in a few years. Yes. Precisely.

    > Rumor has it Angelina & Brad will be the stars (Dagny & John Galt).

    I look forward to it as I have looked forward to no other film, even as I dread the inevitable failure to capture the novel that the film must inexorably be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys