Skip to main content

Too Many Distractions

I knew it would happen eventually, but I really thought I'd be a few weeks into the challenge before I failed to write anything at all. That's right. I got nowhere fast on the story last night. Although, in a feeble attempt to redeem myself, I did open the WIP and tweak a few sentences before heading off to bed.

The problem started when I got home last night. Being Wednesday and therefore a school night for Mom, I didn't get home until 7:20ish. First thing I noticed were my son's bloodshot eyes and pitiful expression. I had sent him to school that morning with a sore throat. Apparently the sore throat mutated into a sore throat/headache/fever by evening. Right. Mommy-mode kicked in and I lost a couple hours to snuggling and thermometer checks.

After the kidlets were put to bed we ended up with company. My car has developed a spontaneous leak, so my hubby had called over a friend of his to help with the detective work. Yeah, they still don't know what's going on. My car has turned into a very mysterious piece of machinery over the last few months. The bizarre noise coming from the front end has defied explanation despite two attempts to tear things apart and pinpoint the culprit and now this. Not good.

Of course, after working on the car, the guys had to have a couple of beers and watch the Ultimate Fighters on the ole television. You'd think I'd have no problem writing while grown men grappled on the screen, but you'd be wrong. I couldn't focus. A comment or two from the guys in my living room would catch my attention and I'd soon find myself watching a replay or engaging in conversation. (Okay, so I might have flipped our guest off a couple of times...but he deserved it! Smart ass. That's what he is.)

The greatest distraction proved to be my wireless connection, though. Stupid laptop still won't recognize the new router we had installed. You can only imagine my quest to get all connected and whatnot.

So, all in all, I accomplished very little last night. I didn't even do the dishes, which made the hubby a little unhappy with me this morning when he realized I was going off to work while he tended to the sick child.

Comments

  1. Maybe Kyle can help wtih the car troubles. If it's really a concern and problem, call me sometime soon and we can see if Kyle may be able to think of something.... what kind of car do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:51 PM

    The front end problem is probably the wheel-bearing hub assy. I replaced the drivers side already but the noise didn't go away. With my luch it was probably the passangers side I should have done. It howls driving down the road but if you slightly turn the wheel to the right, the noise goes away. The car is a 2000 Malibu and they are famous for this issue. I'm not sure what the leak is. I couldn't find anything last night. Underneath the car is a clean as a whistle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He said that so much better than I would have...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life has a way to get in the way, doesn't it? Don't sweat it though. Hope today you can get back on track and write something.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys