Skip to main content

Christmas Meme

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Both!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wrapped. Even the tiny gifts in the stocking are individually wrapped.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Multi-colored in the house (including the tree), white & blue icicles on the house.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope.

5. When do you put your decorations up? We usually get the tree the first weekend in December.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Christmas cookies made using my step-mom's recipe. They're so fluffy and light.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: There were five of us kids. Every year I would wake up my brother, BJ, and we'd get the coffee and hot chocolate made before waking up our Dad and step-mom. Many years we knocked on their door before 5 am. They never complained. Not once. I think that is one of my favorite memories: me and my brother making coffee and hot chocolate in near darkness.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't remember! I'm assuming I had to be at least 10, though, because I think I believed even after my parents' divorce.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? I started this tradition with my kids when they were little. They get to open one present: a pair of pajamas. Want to make sure they look good for Christmas morning pictures!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Plug the lights into the angel. After making sure all the little bulbs light up, we string the lights around the tree. Then its garland or ribbon (depends on the year). After that...it's a free for all. The kids just start hanging ornaments wherever they can reach. Usually as a final touch we put on candy canes that they get to pluck from the branches and eat throughout the month of December.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Both. If I'm not forced to leave the house and brave the roads, I love it. If I have to go to work, I hate it.

12. Can you ice skate? Yes! Although it's been a long time.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I have one special gift that stand out from my childhood. It was the year Cabbage Patch dolls were all the rage. They were so expensive and my parents couldn't afford to buy me one. But they didn't want to disappoint me, so they hired a lady to make a knock-off. Because they were so expensive and I was very aware of how tight money was for our family (and obviously knew Santa no longer existed), I didn't expect the doll I craved. When I opened that package, I cried. I was so touched by their desire to make me happy. I still get a little misty-eyed thinking about it.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Traditions. I want my kids to grow up with the same traditions I did. Not to mention a few new ones my hubby and I have agreed upon.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Um...Christmas Cookies. Didn't we already answer this question?

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Oyster stew on Christmas Eve. I hate the stuff but it's been a tradition in my dad's family for many, many years. It's so popular my in-laws have adopted it and show up every year to celebrate with my family.

I can't forget the search for the Christmas tree. We take the kids to a tree farm where they get to see a live reindeer, take a hay ride, run through a straw bale maze, and get pictures taken with Santa. This is one of the things I look forward to all year long.

I am also a sucker for Christmas music all month long and watching all the classic cartoons like Rudolf, Frosty, Charlie Brown, and the Grinch.

17. What tops your tree? An angel in a white dress with gold wings and candles in her hands.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? I'll be honest; I like them both. Every year I wish I could give more. I love buying things for people, but I also find a great deal of pleasure in giving home-made gifts.

And I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy unwrapping my gifts. I love presents!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? The Little Drummer Boy.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Yum!

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:39 PM

    I never tire of reading about Christmas and of people's response to this great holiday.

    Joy!

    Shirley Buxton
    www.writenow.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, Shirley. I hope you have a very merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Camping with Little Boys

  Our first travel trailer. I don't remember camping much with my family as a kid. This is likely because we always had the same vacation destination: a family plot in Baldwin, MI. There was no cabin there. Instead, there were two structures: a small, silver camper and an old single-wide trailer. The silver camper is gone but the single-wide still sits there and is used by extended family members to this day.  It wasn't until I was a teenager that my step-mom and dad bought a pop-up trailer and we started camping elsewhere in the state. My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm almost certain they got the pop-up after I started dating Ken. Eventually, my parents upgraded to a fifth wheel that my dad still pulls around to various nearby camping spots. Ken, by contrast, didn't have a set vacation destination growing up. His family camped. They started out with a truck-bed camper, I believe, and eventually upgraded to a fifth wheel.  Ken and I vacationed both in Baldwin an

They saved the finger..

This was supposed to be an easy, carefree weekend.  One of those rare weekends where spontaneity is possible because plans were not made ahead of time.  We could lounge on the couch, work on our hobbies, or even do a little shopping.  And, no, I'm not referring to the necessary evil of grocery shopping, but the much more enjoyable version where you get to buy things that actually make you happy. Because the oldest boy needed some pants and the youngest could use a new pair of shoes, I decided to head into the city to do some shopping at Kohl's.  Of course, my decision to shop there was not quite so altruistic.  Mama needed a new bathing suit! So, I pack the kids up and head into the city.  The youngest picks out his shoes . The oldest tries on a few pairs of jeans and ends up with two in the basket.  Did I mention we have to shop in the men's department now?  That he's wearing size 29?  My baby is growing up! Then it was Mom's turn.  I was looking ove

It Should Be Our 28th Wedding Anniversary

I had to do the math twice. Probably because I'm really bad at math. Today should have been our 28th wedding anniversary. We only made it to 26, which is so impressive when you consider how many marriages end in divorce.  So, because I have no doubt in my mind we would have been married still today had cancer not taken him, I want to honor our special day. So, here's a Happy Should Have Been Anniversary to my hubby in heaven.  Today, as I recognize what should have been and think about what was, I figured I'd share not only some lovely pictures from our wedding day but I'd explain how this widow plans to move through October 15, 2022.  In just a little bit, I'm joining another Millington widow at a Widow's Luncheon, which is being hosted by the Amish Church in Millington. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, because I don't know what to expect. On my best days, I consider mys